Saturday, November 13, 2010

Back

Here I am. Home. After almost three years of living on the other side of the world, I am home. And I have no idea what that word even means.

The first week is covered in a thick fog of nitrious oxide. I am high and happy, on the verge of delirium. My old acquaintance Mister Jet-Lag refuses to loosen his grip on me all week. He keeps waking me up in the middle of the night, filling my brain with scattered thoughts and my stomach with random appetites, pulling my eyelids down in the middle of the day, preventing me from seeing clearly, from thinking straight.

I feel like a water balloon in a game of catch and throw between my friends. I spend every day in a different house, with a different person. My mouth opens and closes and words come out but I have no control over what I say, and come moonrise, I don't even remember the conversations I've had. Plans. People seem to want to know about my plans. I feel like a failure having to tell them again and again, that I have no plans. I try to make plans but I can't see through that damn fog in my brain. I give up. I give in.

Going from soft spring breezes into harsh autum storms takes its toll. I get sick. Mum takes me to the doctor. We slide down the escalator. Mum is so happy to have me back, she keeps hugging me and stares at me like I have come from outer space. We do not stop talking, regardless of the sandpaper in my throat. I sound like a chainsmoking seal. Alcoholic, also. I look like, well, an alcoholic chainsmoking seal. And I probably feel like one on the inside as well. Mum notices a lady behind us on the escalator. She can't help herself. "This is my daughter! She just came back from Australia! Three years! Long time, huh! I'm so happy to have her back!"
The lady doesn't really know what to say, and I burst out laughing, which quickly turns into some sort of epileptic fit, frothing, unable to breathe, capsicum-red-faced...
Someone to be proud of, mum!

Week one. Lost. Dazed. Confused.

Week two. Bring it on. Please, bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome BACK in the circle of life, in a momentum of autumn.
    This short breath of fallen leaves makes our earth path slippery now while we slowly walk on as brave pilgrims. As you sit silent and listen, you hear the beauty beat of your own heart and if your eyes get lost in these intense goodbye colours of nature and sky painters you might reflect the golden cathedral within. Winter will come in to bring us into the morning of Spring again. Travel save and enjoy every moment, again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wauw wat weet je het allemaal mooi te verwoorden zeg!! Wat betreft dat niet kunnen stoppen met huilen... ik herken het ZO!! Had het gelukkig maar één weekje, maar dan toen ik down under geland was... De afstand NL-OZ is ook ZOO groot en dat voel je op de één of andere manier, dan nog de cultuurshock... want ook al lijken de culturen zogenaamd heel veel op elkaar, ze doen dat tegelijkertijd totaal niet!! Dan wordt het hier nu ook nog eens IJSkoud terwijl daar de lente begonnen is... Kortom, kan me wat voorstellen van de hele ellende! Vooral het gevoel 'komt die dag weer dat ik gewoon eens even voor de grap géén traan laat ooit nog' is f*cking irritant en om bijna depressief van te worden... Maar het komt echt goed! Die mist trekt wel op en dan kun je heus weer helder vooruit kijken!! Uiteindelijk wordt het misschien zelfs nog wel heel bijzonder om hier rond de feestdagen wat tijd met je familie door te brengen! ENNN je mag over een paar maandjes alweer terug (en daar ben ik dan weer ERNSTIG jaloers op!!). Nou ja... ik weet er tegelijkertijd natuurlijk ook vrij weinig van hoe JIJ je op dit moment voelt. Maar wilde vooral even zeggen dat ik dus vind dat je erg mooi schrijft en dat ik met je meeleef! Je bent een moedig meisje!! Blijf je hart volgen, die 'guts' heeft namelijk niet iedereen.....
    Heel veel liefs,
    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete